The Electrical Designer – Industrial plays a key role in the successful execution of projects, focusing primarily on the production of AutoCAD drawings and Revit modeling. Reporting to a Senior Project Manager, the Electrical Designer is responsible for producing quality construction documents and coordinating design work with other engineering disciplines. The successful candidate will be expected to work within a team environment and collaborate with other project team members.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Lighting layout and design (interior, exterior, landscape, specialty, egress/exit and lighting controls)
• Gather electrical data from clients, architects and other disciplines
• Coordinate work and construction documents with other external stakeholders (civil and structural engineers, architects, food service companies, etc.)
• Electrical room layouts
• Size motor feeders and starters
• Size conduit and route on drawings and in Revit and AutoCAD models.
• Perform voltage drop calculations, short circuit calculations
• Layout electrical equipment (panel boards, transformers, receptacles)
• Write construction observations, reports, etc.
• Edit schedules (panel boards, motors, lighting fixtures, lighting controls)
• Effectively estimate hours and scope of work, thereby contributing to the creation of budgets and project schedules
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Five plus (5+) years drafting/design experience, preferably in AutoCAD and Revit, in a consulting and/or construction capacity.
• Experience working in Autodesk Revit for electrical design and coordinating with other disciplines in Revit.
• Ability to perform 3D modeling of electrical equipment including coordination with other disciplines
• Basic understanding of Architectural, Electrical, Civil, and Structural Engineering construction practices and drawings.
• Working knowledge of Codes (e.g., NEC, NFPA, IBC, IFC, Energy Code, Life Safety Code, etc.).
• Application of Electrical Engineering Principles (e.g., Ohms’ law, selective coordination, grounding, harmonics, etc.).
• Knowledge of fault current calculations, voltage drop calculations and analysis (SKM Power Tools for Windows).
• Finally, knowledge of quality control procedures for document control purposes would be valuable.
Understanding the Business
• Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
• Is well organized and resourceful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
• Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Focusing on the Customer
• Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Creates systems and processes that make it easy for customers to do business with the company. Ensures that customer issues are resolved.
• Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
• Ensures that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors. Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of others.
• Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even those contrary to current thinking.
AAS Degree/Diploma in Design/Drafting is required.
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.