Fire Protection Designer
The Fire Protection Designer will be reporting to the lead Fire Protection project manager and will primarily be responsible for assisting in the design of fire suppression systems, including performing hydraulic calculations and producing construction documents. The Fire Protection Designer will be able to provide design assistance in all aspects of fire protection systems design and engineering in accordance with established policies, standards, and procedures. This individual will also understand the building/fire codes and standards to be able to produce specifications and assist in studies on a variety of fire protection related applications.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Prepare fire protection systems layout and detailed drawings and schematics to produce a complete set of construction drawings in accordance with applicable codes and standards
• Assist in the preparation of contract specifications
• Perform accurate design calculations including hydraulic calculations
• Coordinate work with both internal and external stakeholders, providing technical support and work direction as needed
• Review of fire protection contractor shop drawings
• Perform field surveys and construction administration duties
• Provide technical information and assistance to the project engineer or project manager. Make recommendations as to the feasibility of certain systems or equipment and evaluate products for their applications.
• Coordinate system design with other disciplines, consultants, and utilities.
• Perform site surveys
• Perform hydrant flow tests
• Respond to RFI’s with the approval of the Project Manager.
• Additional duties as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Highly motivated, professional demeanor with a “can-do” attitude
• Team-oriented and strong work ethic
• Proficient and accurate data entry skills necessary
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, shift focus if needed to assist other staff
• Maintain a well-organized system to account for various information processed
• Excellent written and oral communication.
• Strong attention to detail
• Researching and writing reports/studies
• Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
• SpecLink experience preferred
• HydraCAD/HydraCALC experience preferred
• Revit or HydraCAD for Revit experience preferred
• Industrial fire protection experience preferred
• Special Hazards Fire Suppression Systems experience preferred
• Basic understanding of Architectural, Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, and Structural Engineering construction practices.
Understanding the Business
• Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
• Is well organized and resourceful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
• Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Focusing on the Customer
• Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Creates systems and processes that make it easy for customers to do business with the company. Ensures that customer issues are resolved.
• Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
• Ensures that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors. Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of others.
• Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even those contrary to current thinking.
High school diploma or equivalent
NICET Level III or IV in Water-Based Systems Layout preferred
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.