Manager/Director, Human ResourcesSt. Paul, MN
The person filling this role is responsible for the programs, policies and practices that drive the acquisition, development, performance and engagement of KFI’s talent. Additionally, this person may serve as a member of KFI’s leadership team.\
1. Recruiting – develops and deploys a recruiting strategy and action plan to source and hire both experienced candidates and new hires to fill our immediate needs and build the proper foundation for the future.
2. Performance Management – develops, deploys and maintains a Performance Management system, consisting of a process for setting goals, defining individual development needs, confirming job duties and measuring and recognizing achievements. Regularly monitor the extent and quality of utilization, initiating process improvements where necessary.
3. Succession Planning – ensures that KFI has a process in place for regularly (minimum of annually) reviewing and identifying possible replacements for key positions. Also critical is to drive the assessment or developmental follow-up necessary to accelerate the readiness of succession candidates.
4. Total Compensation Administration – monitors total compensation, ensuring that we keep pace with external market movement and changes, while continuing to watch for such things as internal equity, pay-for-performance and consistent guidelines for administering reviews. Recommend by year-end any changes needed for either our salary ranges or review guidelines for the following year.
5. Employee Relations/Counsel – provides coaching and counsel (career progression, development, relationship management, performance etc.) to managers and other employees in response to their needs and assistance required by Directors.
6. Department Leadership – engages in effective leadership of people. Ensures the availability (staffing and recruiting) and the development of the talent needed to meet current and future needs within the department. Also supervises staff, provides overall direction, and conducts goal-setting and performance reviews in a timely and productive manner.
Note – We are looking for someone with the potential to develop and eventually take on these additional functions:
Strategy & Business Leadership – contributes to setting the strategic direction and overall leadership of the business.
Senior Leadership Counsel – acts as a proactive advisor to the President and Directors on all matters HR and is seen as a “trusted advisor” and sounding board for this same group.
Broad understanding and grasp of business needs and drivers
Active listening, verbal & written communication skills
Ease of engaging in discovery and building buy-in
Identification of core problem and root causes
Integrity, high ethical standards
Walk the talk, and act with the organization’s best interest at the fore
Cultural Sensitivity & Awareness
Aware of what is going on around you as well as aware of the impact your words and actions have on others
Recruiting, performance management, compensation practices, etc.
Presence, and the ability to provide vision/direction and inspire followership
Able to connect easily with a broad range of people and personalities. Able to establish quickly common ground and interests
Has established a broad outside network, consisting of subject-matter-experts that can be consulted or contracted as needed
Educational and Experience Requirements
The level of seasoning and maturity we are looking for likely comes from a minimum of 12 – 15 years of experience. Additionally an undergraduate degree is a must, and a professional HR certification (SHRM
CP, PHR or SPHR) is considered a definite plus.
Experience working for both small and large companies is beneficial. Prior experience as an HR Business Partner is critical. This position’s success is dependent on the incumbent developing strong working relationships with the Directors and other managers at KFI. The person filling this role will partner closely with the Director of Finance & Administration for such matters as compensation, payroll and benefits.
People leadership experience will serve this person well, given a small team of direct and indirect reports.
Managing external vendor relationships – recruiters, labor lawyer, etc. – is important in this position.
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.