Project Manager – Construction AdministrationSt. Paul, MN
The PM – Construction Administration plays a key role in the successful execution of projects on site with clients. This person is focused primarily on coordination of communications and work between different stakeholders (KFI, client, general contractor, subs, etc.). Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the incumbent is also responsible for trouble-shooting a wide range of problems, and facilitating the timely execution of decisions directly affecting the timeliness and quality of our work and the overall satisfaction of our client.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Engage in cost estimating, construction planning, scheduling, and potentially equipment procurement.
• Ensure that full documentation for the project takes place and is distributed to all of the right stakeholders.
• Coordinate and monitor the work of all contractors and subs, ensuring that the quality of the work meets or exceeds both KFI and our client’s standards.
• Attend construction meetings, ensuring full representation of the needs of both the client and KFI.
• Carry out the research necessary to identify and address the root cause of problems.
• Inspect equipment and critically observe testing of same.
• Review and provide clarification to construction documents as required.
• Communicate, both verbally and in writing as necessary, with the appropriate staff at KFI who can expedite the resolution of customer problems.
• Contributes as needed to all aspects of the business development process (scoping, writing proposals, customer meetings, etc.).
The successful candidate will have a pragmatic and applied approach, while at the same time fostering a thorough examination of customer needs and potential application of our capabilities.
The successful candidate will have strong construction and field experience, along with an ability to engage others and build credibility quickly. Ideally, the person filling this position will be able to comprehend technical work in the field, and be able to convey situations and problems concisely to others. The person will possess strong communication skills, and influencing skills, and has demonstrated the maturity and self-confidence to work with a wide variety of individuals. The level of seasoning we are looking for likely comes with a minimum of 7 – 10 years of experience.
The successful candidate will be naturally collaborative, and possess the ability to assimilate a range of ideas, programs or alternatives into a set of recommendations. This person will be self-directed, but able to adapt quickly to rapidly changing circumstances.
Additional qualifications the successful candidate will possess include:
• Strong technical skills, and the demonstrated ability to understand and apply engineering and design principles and standards.
• Fundamental understanding of all disciplines (mechanical, electrical, civil, architectural, structural).
• Cost estimating.
• Planning and organizational skills, combined with good attention to detail.
• Ability to build consensus and influence others.
Understanding the Business
• Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
• Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Getting Work Done Through Others
• Influences well; gets the most and best out of others; sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, and gives useful feedback; delegates; keeps people informed.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
• Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
• Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
• Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even contrary ones
A degree in either Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is required. We also value the commitment to pursue a P.E. designation. Also important is a keen interest in and/or construction experience.
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.