Senior Project ManagerIowa City, IA
The Senior Project Manager plays a key role in the successful management of projects and development of staff. Reporting to the Director, Industry and Infrastructure, this individual will provide technical and engineering leadership, as well as act as the “face of KFI” in Iowa. The Senior Project Manager is responsible for a high level of customer satisfaction by ensuring expectations are clearly communicated and managed – both externally and internally. The successful candidate will also create a dynamic team environment by mentoring and coaching colleagues, and fostering a highly collaborative working environment. This person will also actively support the business development process, through the writing of proposals and meeting with prospective and current customers, thereby clearly articulating KFI’s value proposition and unique differentiators.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Oversees projects in the department to assure that KFI quality, customer satisfaction and financial objectives are met.
- Actively manages assigned projects, driving them to completion. This will require a combination of strong delegation and follow-up, combined with personal execution of work as needed. Project teams will typically be staffed by people in different KFI offices.
- Allocates department resources to assure effective utilization and development of staff.
- Ensures that new opportunities are properly defined, scoped and priced. Actively contributes to all aspects of the business development process (i.e., proposals and customer meetings).
- Ensures the development and coaching of the talent needed to meet current and future organization goals.
- Supervises staff, provides overall direction, and facilitates goal-setting and performance reviews. Conducts weekly one-on-one meetings with staff.
- Provides technical and engineering support to other departments/disciplines.
- Reviews invoices, ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of billing activity.Serve as the Iowa office manager, ensuring its smooth operation while at the same time driving its growth.
The successful candidate will have a pragmatic and applied approach, while at the same time fostering a creative examination of customer needs and solutions.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated a strong proficiency in process and utilities design. This person will have strong interpersonal skills to enable effective development and leadership of Designers, Engineers and Project Managers. This person will also possess superior project management skills and knowledge of related tools and processes. The person will possess strong communication skills, and influencing skills, and has demonstrated the maturity and self-confidence to work with senior business leaders and customers. The level of seasoning we are looking for likely comes with a minimum of 10 years of experience following graduation.
The successful candidate will be naturally collaborative, and possess the ability to assimilate a range of ideas, programs or alternatives into a set of recommendations. This person will be self-directed, but thrive in an environment where consultation leads to superior outcomes.
Understanding the Business
- Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
Creating the New and Different
- Is able to generate exciting ideas; is an effective strategist who can see beyond the obvious; has broad interests and knowledge.
- Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Getting Work Done Through Others
- Manages people well; gets the most and best out of the people he/she has; sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, and gives useful feedback; delegates and develops; keeps people informed; provides coaching for today and for the future.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
- Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
- Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
- Is skilled at getting individuals and teams to perform at a higher level and to embrace change; negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done; inspires others; builds motivated, high-performing teams; understands what motivates different people.
- Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even contrary ones
Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering is required. Professional Engineering Registration (P.E.) is also highly desirable.
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.