The Structural Engineer plays a key role in the successful execution of projects. Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, Structural, this individual will provide technical and engineering excellence, as well as successful delivery of work to our customers. The Structural Engineer is responsible for a high level of customer satisfaction by ensuring expectations are clearly communicated and managed – both externally and internally. The successful candidate will also contribute to a dynamic team environment by being proactive, communicating clearly to all stakeholders, and modeling a highly collaborative working environment.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Perform accurate and complete structural analysis – designing framing and foundations for industrial and commercial projects.
• Prepare engineering documents to meet the contracted scope of work ensuring sound application of engineering principles.
• Oversee production of engineering drawings, specifications, and reports.
• Effectively assist in the execution of projects. Develop estimates for the assigned scope of work and ensure we stay within scope and adhere to the overall project budget. Assist in the creation of project plans and schedules for the execution of work.
• Coordinate work with both internal and external stakeholders, providing technical support and work direction as needed.
• Provide a basic understanding of Electrical, Mechanical, and Civil Engineering construction practices.
• Provides technical and engineering support to other departments/disciplines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The successful candidate will have a pragmatic and applied approach, while at the same time bringing a creative examination of customer needs and solutions.
The successful candidate will have strong structural design knowledge using a variety of construction materials. The ideal candidate should also have experience using and understanding structural analysis software (RISA or similar). This person will have strong interpersonal skills to enable effective interaction with Designers, Engineers and Project Managers. This person will also possess strong communication skills, and influencing skills, and has demonstrated the maturity and self-confidence to work with colleagues and customers. The level of seasoning we are looking for likely comes with a minimum of 1 – 3 years of experience following graduation, has passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam, and is working toward P.E. registration.
The successful candidate will be naturally collaborative and possess the ability to assimilate a range of ideas, programs or alternatives into a set of recommendations. This person will be self-directed but thrive in an environment where consultation leads to superior outcomes.
Additional qualifications the successful candidate will possess include:
• Strong attention to detail.
• Adaptable and agile, responsive to quick changes in direction.
• Ability to establish rapport and credibility with customers and other stakeholders.
Understanding the Business
• Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
• Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
• Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Focusing on the Customer
• Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Creates systems and processes that make it easy for customers to do business with the company. Ensures that customer issues are resolved.
• Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
• Ensures that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors. Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of others.
• Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even those contrary to current thinking.
A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in structural design is required; a Master’s degree in structural engineering is viewed favorably, though not a requirement.
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.