Structural EngineerSt. Paul, MN
The Structural Engineer plays a key role in the successful execution of projects. Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, Structural, this individual will provide technical and engineering excellence, as well as successful delivery of work to our customers. The Structural Engineer is responsible for a high level of customer satisfaction by ensuring expectations are clearly communicated and managed – both externally and internally. The successful candidate will also contribute to a dynamic team environment by being proactive, communicating clearly to all stakeholders, and modeling a highly collaborative working environment. This person may, depending on experience, also actively support the business development process, through the writing of proposals and meeting with prospective and current customers.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Oversees the production of construction documents/drawings, ensuring the application of structural engineering principles (e.g., engineering calculations, drawings and specifications).
• Effectively executes projects. Develops estimates for assigned scope of work, and is accountable for ensuring we stay within scope and adhere to the overall project budget (KFI labor, expenses and subs). Also creates project plan and schedule for execution of work.
• Coordinate work with both internal and external stakeholders, providing technical support and work direction as needed.
• Possesses a basic understanding of Electrical, Mechanical, and Civil Engineering construction practices.
• May serve as project manager for complete projects, when assigned.
• Supports the business development process through input to proposals, meeting and interviewing with prospective customers, etc. Specific involvement will be dependent on experience.
• Provides work direction to other team members, including subcontractors, as assigned.
• Provides technical and engineering support to other departments/disciplines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The successful candidate will have a pragmatic and applied approach, while at the same time bringing a creative examination of customer needs and solutions.
The successful candidate will have strong Structural design experience across a variety of industries and processes. The ideal candidate should also have experience using and understanding structural analysis software (RISA or similar). This person will have strong interpersonal skills to enable effective interaction with Designers, Engineers and Project Managers. This person will also possess strong communication skills, and influencing skills, and has demonstrated the maturity and self-confidence to work with colleagues and customers. The level of seasoning we are looking for likely comes with a minimum of 6 – 10 years of experience following graduation.
The successful candidate will be naturally collaborative, and possess the ability to assimilate a range of ideas, programs or alternatives into a set of recommendations. This person will be self-directed, but thrive in an environment where consultation leads to superior outcomes.
Additional qualifications the successful candidate will possess include:
• Effective meeting management skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Adaptable and agile, responsive to quick changes in direction.
• Ability to establish rapport and credibility with customers and other stakeholders.
Understanding the Business
• Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
• Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
• Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Focusing on the Customer
• Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Creates systems and processes that make it easy for customers to do business with the company. Ensures that customer issues are resolved.
• Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
• Ensures that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors. Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of others.
• Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even those contrary to current thinking.
A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in structural design is required; a Master’s degree in structural engineering is viewed favorably, though not a requirement. A Professional Engineering registration in Minnesota is highly desired. P.E. registration in other states is desirable but not required. Note that we would be open to considering someone who does not currently have their P.E. designation, provided he/she was committed to securing it within 2 years.
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.