The University of Notre Dame commissioned KFI Engineers to design the entire mechanical and electrical power distribution system for their new turbomachinery laboratory.
- New 10MVA substation, relay protection and 6MVA of regenerative braking from test cell turbines to be paralleled back into the medium voltage bus
- 15,900 HP of compressors and vacuum pumps, with custom-designed ductwork, silencers and safety features to accommodate mach 0.3, vacuums approaching 4 psia, and capable of moving over 40 lbm/s of air
- Closed-circuit, 3600-ton mechanical cooling system
- Compressed air temperatures of up to 1200°F
- Procurement of all major electrical gear and mechanical equipment
- Design of cooling plant station control system
- Complete process project management and scheduling
This research turbomachinery testing facility advances the technology of large gas turbines used in aircraft, power plants, and the oil and gas industry applications.