Commissioning EngineerSt. Paul, MN
The Commissioning Engineer plays a key role in the successful management of commissioning, re/retro-commissioning, test & balance, and energy audit projects in our various locations. Reporting to the Performance Group Manager, this individual will provide technical expertise, as well as oversight to ensure that the performance of buildings, systems and equipment conform to design specifications.
- Actively manages projects – scoping the work required, developing a project plan, securing resources, keeping the project on track for on time delivery. Also ensures that all project work is properly documented and reported.
- Ensures that new business development opportunities are properly defined, scoped and priced. Actively contributes to all aspects of the business development process (i.e., proposals and customer meetings).
- Conducts building performance evaluations and audits, including commissioning, re-commissioning, retro-commissioning, and test & balance activities.
- Executes Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) functional tests, including point verification and sequence tests.
- Actively participates in construction meetings. Directs commissioning meetings, recording action items and distributing these to all key stakeholders.
- Performs construction inspections to ensure MEP installations conform to project documents.
- Assists in performance of Test & Balance measurements.
- Assists other department staff in calculating building energy use and savings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
Ideally, the person filling this opening will have several years of experience doing this type of work, a professional Mechanical Engineering certification and established industry contacts and relationships in the area where the office is located. However, KFI is prepared to hire the right individual, who may be less experienced and lacking these preferred engineering credentials – provided he/she has done work that has required interaction with contractors on a frequent basis (i.e. someone who has worked in one of the construction trades), or has experience operating and troubleshooting building automation systems. Also required is a willingness to travel to job sites.
Understanding the Business
- Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
- Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
- Attacks everything with drive and energy; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Focusing on the Customer
- Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Makes it easy for customers to do business with the company. Ensures that customer issues are resolved quickly.
- Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
- Ensures that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors. Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of others.
- Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even those contrary to current thinking.
Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical Engineering is ideal. However KFI is open to hiring the right candidate who may not have a formal Engineering degree, but has done work that has required interaction with contractors on a frequent basis (i.e. someone who has worked in one of the construction trades), or has experience operating and troubleshooting building automation systems.
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.