Mechanical EngineerSt. Paul, MN
The Mechanical Engineer plays a key role in the successful execution of projects. Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, Industrial Group, this individual will provide technical and engineering excellence, as well as successful delivery of work to our customers. The Engineer is responsible for a high level of customer satisfaction by ensuring expectations are clearly communicated and managed – both externally and internally. The successful candidate will also contribute to a dynamic team environment by being proactive, communicating clearly and frequently, and modeling a highly collaborative working environment. This person will also actively support the business development process, through the writing of proposals and meeting with prospective and current customers.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Prepares engineering documents and equipment specifications to meet contracted scope of work and to ensure code compliance.
- Performs engineering calculations.
- Manage projects and teams, ensuring that work efforts and costs are accurately scoped and estimated.
- Develops estimates for assigned scope of work, and is accountable for ensuring we stay within scope.
- Actively manages assigned projects, driving them to completion. This will require a combination of strong delegation and follow-up, combined with personal execution of work as needed.
- Provides technical and engineering support to other departments/disciplines.
- Represent KFI at community events, and through membership in industry associations.
The successful candidate will have a pragmatic and applied approach, while at the same time bringing a creative examination of customer needs and solutions.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated a strong proficiency in process and utilities design in their core discipline. Ideally, the person filling this position will have strong experience in infrastructure projects and/or plant operations. This person will have strong interpersonal skills to enable effective interaction with Designers, Engineers and Project Managers. This person also will possess strong communication skills, and influencing skills, and has demonstrated the maturity and self-confidence to work with colleagues and customers. The level of seasoning we are looking for likely comes with a minimum of 3 – 7 years of experience following graduation.
The successful candidate will be naturally collaborative, and possess the ability to assimilate a range of ideas, programs or alternatives into a set of recommendations. This person will be self-directed, but thrive in an environment where consultation leads to superior outcomes.
Additional qualifications the successful candidate will possess include:
- Effective meeting management skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Adaptable and agile, responsive to quick changes in direction.
Understanding the Business
- Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
- Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
- Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Focusing on the Customer
- Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Creates systems and processes that make it easy for customers to do business with the company. Ensures that customer issues are resolved.
- Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
- Ensures that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors. Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of others.
- Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level,personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even contrary ones.
Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical Engineering is required. Professional Engineering Registration or willingness to pursue this designation is also required.
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.