Senior Electrical Engineer
The Senior Electrical Engineer plays a key role in the successful execution of projects. Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, Industrial, this individual will provide technical and engineering excellence, as well as successful delivery of work to our customers. The Senior Electrical Engineer is responsible for a high level of customer satisfaction by ensuring expectations are clearly communicated and managed – both externally and internally. The successful candidate will also contribute to a dynamic team environment by being proactive, communicating clearly to all stakeholders, and modeling a highly collaborative working environment. This person will also actively support the business development process, through the writing of proposals and meeting with prospective and current customers.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Familiar with the electrical design and equipment for industrial and utility facilities with medium and low voltage systems.
• Designs one or more of the following: power distribution systems (primary requirement), including studies such as load flow, short circuit, arc flash, harmonics, and coordination studies.
• Prepares engineering documents and equipment specifications to meet contracted scope of work and to ensure application of Electrical Engineering Principles (e.g. network analysis, selective coordination, grounding, harmonics, etc.).
• Provides construction observation and/or inspection and field support of startup and commissioning of electrical systems.
• Possesses a basic understanding of Architectural, Mechanical, Civil, and Structural Engineering construction practices.
• Develops estimates for assigned scope of work, and is accountable for ensuring we stay within scope.
• Creates project plan and schedule for execution of work.
• May serve as project manager for complete projects when assigned.
• Supports the business development process through input to proposals, meetings, and interviews with prospective customers, etc.
• Provides work direction to other team members, including subcontractors, as assigned.
• Approves final equipment selections and drawing submittals.
• Provides technical and engineering support to other departments/disciplines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The successful candidate will have a pragmatic and applied approach, while at the same time bringing a creative examination of customer needs and solutions.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated a strong proficiency in electrical power system design in their core discipline. Ideally, the person filling this position will have strong electrical design experience across a variety of utility and infrastructure projects including medium and low voltage design. This person will have strong interpersonal skills to enable effective interaction with Designers, Engineers, and Project Managers. This person will possess strong communication skills, and influencing skills, and has demonstrated the maturity and self-confidence to work with colleagues and customers. The level of seasoning we are looking for likely comes with a minimum of 8-10 years of experience following graduation.
The successful candidate will be naturally collaborative and possess the ability to assimilate a range of ideas, programs, or alternatives into a set of recommendations. This person will be self-directed but thrive in an environment where consultation leads to superior outcomes.
Additional qualifications the successful candidate will possess include:
• Has strong knowledge of Codes (e.g. NEC, NFPA, IBC, Life Safety Code, etc.).
• Effective meeting management skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Adaptable and agile, responsive to quick changes in direction.
• Ability to establish rapport and credibility with customers and other stakeholders.
Understanding the Business
• Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
• Is well organized and resourceful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
• Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Focusing on the Customer
• Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Creates systems and processes that make it easy for customers to do business with the company. Ensures that customer issues are resolved.
• Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
• Ensures that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors. Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of others.
• Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even those contrary to current thinking.
Bachelors’ degree in Electrical Engineering and a Professional Engineering registration in Minnesota are required. P.E. registration in other upper-Midwest states is highly desirable. LEED Certification, while not a requirement, would be highly preferred.
Recognizing the importance of this position to KFI, a competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.